Saturday, March 24, 2012

Messing Up

It happens sometimes.

Earlier this week, my host parents sent me out to buy bread. In Brazil and pretty much everywhere except the United States, people actually eat real bread (yes American, I am hating on your flimsy bread), and therefore you must buy it at the bakery...or bread-vending place. Whatever it's called in English.

To be fair, my directions were given after a long set of confusing instruction and much bandying of words between my host parents (everybody has their specific bread preferences, it seems. Me? I love bread. It's a bit of a problem.), they sent me off.

So, right. I went to the bread-store-place and got what the told me. 7 loaves.

But when I got back, it appeared I was supposed to get 7 loaves of two different types of bread.

Oh, right. Gotcha. I totally...did not understand that part. Whoops.

It's not that it was a big deal or anything - I just feel like it's worth mentioning if only to say that it's okay to mess up. We're here to learn. You know that. Your host parents know that. Your host siblings and people in your host community know that. You mess up, you learn from your mistakes, and then you try harder until you get it right.

It might be a good idea to reiterate this to yourself. And just remember - we've got your back.


Three months left.

- Jake

No comments:

Post a Comment